Step 1: The Adaptability Of The Tool With The Project
Every testing tool has some limitations, which may lead to some unknown problem: to avoid this take a detail look of these pointers below to decide on the tool that works best with the existing skillset and accommodates the work process and technology .
- Understand the basic project requirements completely
- Keep the existing tool in mind and compare the ease of the new tool in line with its adherence to the new application and technology,
- Check the new tool for its functionality, efficiency and usage
- Make sure that the tool is easy to use and its learning curve is very less.
- Figure out the flexibility to configure
- Run a small POC of your test cases with the tool
- Calibrate its adherence to your budget.
Step 2: The Availability Of Crucial Inbuilt Features
Testing tools have varied features that can address the challenges the team is trying to solve. Hence it is best to look for those features that works best to solve the running issue.
- It should have inbuilt library, data table and proper project structure
- Capacity to automatically generate Object repository with unique paths
- The tool should be able to generate the scripts with minimal effort
- Allow Parameterization of the test to make it reusable.
- Create tests, plans, suite and test-set on its own
- Schedular and parallel execution a must
Step 3: Reporting Capabilities Without User Interaction
In most of the tools, lack of centralization leads the reporting process to be dependent on manual interactions ending up with unseen errors. Progress of the project has to be updated properly to avoid failure towards the end moment.
A testing tool with,
- Inbuilt Report generators (should allow custom reporting)
- Emailing reports
- Ultimate efficacy to generate reports in different formats
will provide automatic real-time reports that will facilitate the process of updating the clients regularly with the latest development and breakthrough of the project during every stage.
Step 4: Integration With Application Lifecycle Management
Nowadays, Testing being the fundamental necessity for a noteworthy software, initiating testing practices to locate defects earlier in the life cycle ensures best quality. Under such instances, a testing tool that can integrate testing with other tools from various phases of the lifecycle can open way to achieve Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) without much effort.
- Ability to support available version control tools (including the top ranked ) in the market
- Highly flexible to integrate and work
- Ability to support available CI tools (including the top ranked ) in the market
- Adjustable to integrate and use the command line syntax available for the tool
- Process should be simpler to execute the tests.
If all the above discussed features are inbuilt in the tool finalised for a testing project, then automatically the productivity increases exponentially.
The next Key factor that adds to the productivity of the tests is the skill set of the tester to communicate and respond to the queries raised by the client clearly and concisely with result oriented solutions. Resources picked up for any new project
- Should get trained on the tool decided for the project (usage, features and its limitations)
- Necessitate self-driven learning attitude to learn and advance ahead with new technologies
- Need to possess leadership quality to build an efficient team and work together in longer run.
- Require experience in handling various complex projects, so that it helps them to identify critical problems quickly.
Another key factor is tool support and related services, which helps to analyse and apply the tool in right context, so that it saves time, costs and streamline the skill set of resources to establish test productivity rapidly .
- The support team of the decided tool should be easily accessible
- Quick Resolution to the issues raised by the working team
- Precise communication with data and to the point between the user and service provider reduces the turn around time